Tuesday, August 17, 2010

Ideas for Side Income

Hey guys --

Thanks for the warm welcome back to the blogosphere :)

One of my goals for 2010/2011 is to bring in some side income - preferably $25+ a month, part-time (non 9-5, M-F) or freelance.

A few of my friends have side gigs doing graphic design, coding, or tutoring. Other friends work part-time (weekends or nights) in retail or in the restaurant industry. My roommate, for example, has 2 jobs -- she works full-time as a buyer for a department store and 2 nights a week as a hostess at a trendy bar. I'm amazed by her stamina -- I'm usually so exhausted from my day job that I vegetate all night when I get home -- she somehow musters up enough energy to greet people and be on her feet for another 5 hours.

The idea that appeals the most to me is doing some freelance photography -- at weddings, events, engagement photos, etc. Photography has been a hobby of mine since high school, but I started getting serious about it last summer when the BF gave me his DSLR on perma-loan. It's a Canon XTi, and I've fitted it with a sweet non-kit lens. I shot my friend's bridal shower last weekend and got great reviews for my photos.

My plan is to start building a portfolio -- two of my close friends are getting married in the next 6 months, so I'll have some great opportunities to play (un)official photographer. Once I get a small portfolio built up, I'll set up a website with some of my work and advertise my photography services on Craigslist. Just today, I saw an ad on CL from a guy looking for an amateur photographer to take pictures of his upcoming proposal to his girlfriend. The gig probably wouldn't have paid much (~$100) but, hey, photography is so much fun for me that I'd probably do it for free -- I might as well try to make some money from it!

Anyway, thanks for reading. I'll keep you all posted on the progress of my side hustle ;-)

-Bacon

2 comments:

Paula @ Afford Anything said...

I love doing freelance work for side income ... I get to set my own hours and have a super-flexible schedule.

I probably don't work as much as your friend who is a full-time buyer and a hostess at night, but I wonder how long your friend can sustain that.

Maria Lazaros said...

Are you looking for a loan to finance your project at the rate of 2% in return or Home loan or car loan then Mr Pedro loan offer will be good for you since they offered international loan to individual or company looking for way to expand their business or personal loan because Mr pedro and his working company helped me finance my business at the rate of 2% in return in which I will be closing my loan next year on this date, I really hope to order another loan from them because they are genuine loan company with a very good interest.
Contact Mr Pedro loan offer on E-Mail: pedroloanss@gmail.com whatsapp: +1-863-231-0632